Tempo

Many of the golf instructions focus on positions -- of the body, arms, club -- during the swing. This is well and good.

Few talk about tempo, which is important in accomplishing a swinging action. Advocates of the Manuel de la Torre method and Tour Tempo bring these concepts to the fore. My pro gave me an insight that helped me incorporate these into my swing. He noticed I already have (more than) enough body/pivot movement and suggested I focus on the movement of my arms and hands.

He said I should start my takeaway/backswing faster, slow down at the top/transition before accelerating again in the downswing. Of course it is important to swing from the inside out and retain that wrist cock/hinge/lag in the downswing.

When everything else (swing plane thoughts) fails, it may be the tempo that is off.

Comments

zen said…
This comment has been removed by the author.