The Sound of Silence, Ticks and Pops

I have always experienced some hum or static noise with my analog playback. Found a phono cable that minimized RF interference.
But some noise remained, I theorized from lack of proper grounding, static crackle when I touched the tonearm, for example. I ignored it and just turned the volume up.

Then I changed amp (to an integrated) and the first thing I noticed was how much quieter my system was. But the static crackle and occasional hum was still there. A quick search led me to some previous discussions regarding grounding. So I whipped up some cable and connected my phono stage and amp to the window metal grill with alligator clips.

Absolute silence.

I think someone wrote somewhere that one could either raise the listening volume or lower the noise floor. I was discovering lower noise floor.

And ticks and pops?

When I played this LP




























it was full of ticks and pops. But when Ella sang
Someday he'll come along
The man I love...
And when he comes my way
I'll do my best to make him stay


it brings goosebumps. Her voice brings me back to the days when each song is a performance. The ticks and pops makes the time warp just more palpable.

And when she swings
we're making a wreck
of Mack the Knife


it brings goosebumps. Sheer admiration for her talent and music.

What is the point of this post?
Nothing really. My system is not perfect or the best by any means.
Probably just sharing some experience that may be useful to someone, about the importance of grounding perhaps, or that analog takes some effort but can be rewarding. Or just another example of the things we do to get our boat float, even if our system is not perfect.

Comments