Saturday, April 12, 2014

Wimbledon Effect in Golf?


There are many versions of the "Wimbledon Effect", but a simple one is about weekend tennis players playing better after watching Wimbledon on TV.

I watched The Masters at Augusta on TV last night. Some observations: the players don't swing out of their boots -- they swing smooth and not jerky and it doesn't seem forced. I also noticed that their arms seemed relaxed and not stiff.

So this morning I tried to swing like the pros. No need to go for that extra ten yards, swing smooth, go for accuracy. On chips, pitches and putts tried to keep arms relaxed and grip firm but not tight.

The result -- I scored my best game from the blue tees on my home course so far. Definitely the Masters Effect. Hope it is not temporary, like the temporary bump in club membership applications after every Wimbledon.

No comments: