Squaring the Clubhead on the Backswing

When reading through the Mike Austin method, I learned that they intentionally keep the clubface "closed" (from the conventional swing perspective) all the way to the top.

I was trying to do this as a drill at the driving range and then realized that intentionally keeping the clubface "closed" actually made me turn my shoulder on the backswing. When I looked it was actually "square" at the top.

It was a "eureka" moment for me.

In videos of my swing, I always noticed that I take the club on the inside too early, then I lift it up at the top which leads to a tendency for an over the top downswing. This is because I open the clubface as I take it back.

Now I understand, the best way to arrive at the top with the clubface square is to turn the shoulder without turning or manipulating the hands/clubface. I've read this in books and magazines but I always wondered about how to achieve/feel this.

The downswing felt more "on-plane" and I really felt I was hitting it more crisply.

This understanding will hopefully make my swing more repeatable. I just have to remember it.

That's why I'm posting for future reference. It's a fuller development of the earlier post (K.I.S.S.).

Comments

zen said…
Backswing with the shoulder, downswing with the arms...