Canon EOS 550D (T2i)

When I bought the 550D with the 18-55 IS kit lens three years ago, I got a good deal since the 600D was just coming out. I was impressed at how much Canon DSLR's image quality has jumped since the 10D, but I always considered the 550D a "bridge" camera for casual  use while waiting for full frame to come down in prices. 

















I finally got my wish and bought the 6D a few months back. Full frame just felt right. My enthusiasm for photography was rekindled.

Ironically, the 6D has also made me appreciate the 550D even more. It does not give away much to the best DSLRs in the market today. It focuses fast and fits nicely in the hand. With the kit lens, it makes for a very handy travel camera, which is not bulkier than a SL1 or EOS-M fitted with a similar lens.

I don't do video and don't care for articulated LCD in DSLRs, so the latest enhancements on the 600d to 700d don't mean much to me. With the same 18 megapixel count and arguably similar focus and low-noise performance as these newer models, the 550D is still up there in meeting my needs for a second body. It is a good deal today as it was three years ago.

I'm enjoying this new found love for the 550D, and it has been reciprocating.


Comments