The Best Beef Mami in Town?

I got a rare opportunity to wander into Quezon City due to an errand. It was also an opportunity to have lunch at the Banawe area. Many have discovered that Banawe Street is not just a place for getting reasonably-priced car parts (new or “replacement”). This place now rivals Ongpin and Chinatown for authentic Chinese food, owing to the large number of businesses in the area owned by Chinese Filipinos.

I chose a place called Mr. Poon since the parking slot had some space (it was quite early). It was clean, and, besides, looked like a place where you can order food for just one person.



What intrigued me was its menu proudly claiming their Beef Mami (noodles) as “probably the best in the country.” How can you pass up an opportunity like that? So of course that’s what I ordered!

The place soon filled up. The table next to me had a family with a “balikbayan” who was making a special journey to this restaurant; apparently part of his homecoming.

Behind me, a couple was having a lauriat. I couldn’t believe how much food was being served for two people but they seemed to be enjoying each course.

Back to the Beef Mami. It was indeed delicious. It’s up there among the best I’ve tried this side of town, so the claim “probably the best” is not misplaced. A serving of almond jelly capped the meal; the bill was less than 200 pesos ($4).

The family beside me was deep into their conversation and the couple behind me was deep into their steamed fish when I left.

I rarely pass by Quezon City but glad on this occasion to sample “probably the best” Beef Mami in town.

Comments