This Is Geek To Me

Last night I downloaded two files from Canon’s download site.

The first one is a firmware upgrade for my Canon EOS 10D. I was an early adopter of the 10D so it came with firmware v1.0.0. The latest firmware v2.0.1 added pictbridge compatibility and, more importantly, shorter “microdrive release time lag”. I don't really know what that means but I tried it anyway since I am using a 4 GB microdrive extracted from a Muvo2.

I found that with firmware v2.0.1 the waiting time to shift from shooting mode to view mode on the 10D is significantly shorter. There are other subtle improvements as well, such as the battery power indicating “full charge” on newly charged batteries (BP 511); before the upgrade it indicated “partial charge” on the same batteries.

The other download was a free software called Digital Photo Professional (DPP), useful for converting RAW files taken with a Canon EOS camera. I played a little bit with it but still have to learn all the features. Shooting RAW is supposed to be better since you process the image with a more sophisticated software (such as DPP), giving better output quality; shooting in jpeg mode uses the (supposedly limited) conversion processing capability in-camera, resulting in inferior output quality.

I felt like a true geek, as only one would enjoy doing this until 2 am.

I guess I’m just trying to squeeze more performance from my gear to resist an upgrade urge – a common trick among audiophiles. For now that 1dMkII or 20D has to wait.

Comments