Nonthoughts at Bruno's

I had my haircut at Bruno’s Barber Shop. Behind me (hence in front of me in the mirror) also having his haircut was a man with very little hair. In fact, one can say he was bald on top. The barber was shaving his whole head. I was actually minding my own business (reading a newspaper) but couldn’t help overhearing him asking the barber to cut it shorter. I glanced and realized that he was talking about his moustache (which in contrast to his hair was quite bushy).

That’s when I noticed his son beside him. He was about twelve and had a really thick and spiky hairstyle (reminiscent of Mel Gibson in the first Mad Max movie). I couldn’t help but think that genetics are against this boy and, not for long, he is going to be a skinhead too.

And the nonthoughts followed:

When does a boy become a man? (not in a “rite of passage” way but physically, in the eyes of others).

When does a young man become a middle-aged man?

When does a middle-aged man become an old man?

I wonder what nonthoughts my barber had….

Comments